Sunday, September 4, 2011

The 한국 adventure begins...


It's been a long time since my last post, but then again I was home in Pcola and working at NAS so there was not much of particular interest to write about except that I did remodel another room replacing carpet with tile, lost a few pounds, turned 50, blah, blah, blah. So now I am in to the Korea experience by about 10 days and not to sound redundant, but I love it. It is always a huge culture shock to go somewhere that expects manners, where stealing is just rude and everyone is so darn helpful and outgoing. As with every place I have been I have been treated great. The first weekend I went to Soyosan (Soyo Mountain) and hiked up with Jessica, the consultant I replaced. It started off easy enough but then came the steps climbing and more climbing, then the steps were replaced by rocks to climb over with intermittent steps, a little more grueling than my Nikes were ready to handle. The view from the top though, made the climb worthwhile, even if I set my water down and somebody grabbed it to pour on their head to cool off. Later somebody else made up for it by giving me and Jessica a Snickers bar. Supposedly there is a monastery farther up and down and back up where the successful climbers may be treated to a nice veggie lunch. So that is on my itinerary for another day. I have been to Seoul twice, staying this weekend overnight with my friend Loren from Pensacola. He speaks Korean and introduced me to some of his friends. Starting with the Photography Club we went to the Namsangol Hanok Village, a traditional Korean heritage center where Loren and I dressed up like Emperors and took pictures around the park…two separate activites. After a coffee break we went to his apartment and got ready for a night out. Sparing the details I can sum it up with soju, food, excellent company, more food and beverage and then an early morning Karaoke party. Staying out til the sun came up was not part of the plan, then again we really didn’t have a plan. Of course with Korean friends now I kind of have to start learning Korean – yet another language for me to slaughter to the amusement of the locals. Next weekend is the Korean holiday of Chuseok, which everybody have pretty much summed up as a Korean Thanksgiving. Actually it is their own holiday and has to do with everyone going home and playing traditional games and eating traditional food while honoring their ancestors. I guess the thing that makes it like Thanksgiving is that there’s a lot of food and everybody is on the road for the long weekend. We Americans get to have a long weekend too which is pretty awesome. I will most likely be in Seoul again.
The pictures are Soyosan, a restaurant serving food in the cold creek, squid (your choice) for dinner, taekwondo exhibition, Namsangol Hanok, and me and Loren throwing hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment