Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Dutch


Netherlands. Wooden shoes, windmills, tulips, cheese, dijks and beer.  Except for the wooden shoes, everything is pretty much as expected.  The shoes as it turns out were a product of necessity when the Dutch were so poor they couldn’t afford leather.  Tulips are out of season and the only dijks I have seen ride motorcycles and wear wooden shoes. Hans Brinker was American.  The beer is good stuff though; I have sampled about 10 breweries. And there are so many kinds of cheese I can’t even choose one at the market. Learning the proper way to pronounce Gouda is among my greatest accomplishments so far.  Dutch language is kind of complex, much more than I expected.  The cheese is actually pronounced GHow – dah with my tongue touching the back of the roof of my mouth somewhere between a Hebrew ח het and a hiss, like the sound a cat makes when it’s pissed off. And the “ch” making almost the same sound but with a little more of the guttural sound, distinctly different to the Dutch but virtually imperceptible to me. You roll the “r” in the back of your throat like the French do and the vowels have about 30 different sounds.  When my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth or I have a couple of beers, however, everything comes out unintelligible, including my spotty English.  I can say “Hi” in Dutch… “Oy!”  Enough about language, though.  The people here are helpful and friendly, everybody smiles (I’m thinking it’s the beer) and almost everybody speaks fluent English.  I don’t even ask anymore because when I ask do you speak English they say, “of course” as if it’s silly of me to ask at all. And they generally speak French, German and Italian, as well.  And the kids I work with are from all over the world including Turkey, Estonia, Poland, Italy, England, Canada, France, Germany, Netherlands and a few from the USA, so I also get to practice my language skills, such as they are. I am about 15 minutes from the German border and 25 minutes from the Belgian. Today was the first day of full sun all day.  Usually it’s cold and it rains at least half the day but the nice weather is supposed to continue for a few days with highs in the low 70’s and nights above freezing.  I went last weekend to Aachen, Germany (seat of power of Charlemagne in the 9th century and the church he built is still in use) and to Valkenburg, Netherlands with ancient castle ruins and caves and a cool village-wide market. Oh yeah and Holland is a precinct in the north country where Amsterdam is.  The whole country is not Holland.  I live in Limburg, a precinct in the deep south of Netherlands where “Hi” is prounounced, “Oy, y’all”.  And the pics are me in trouble already, The Octagon Church built by Charlemagne, a sample of the Dutch language, and the village of Valkenburg.



No comments:

Post a Comment