Sunday, March 31, 2013

Worms










Once in awhile I run into somebody who is just my kind of people.  Because of my lifestyle, those people can appear at random times and occasionally more than once.  Such is the case here. I have other folks around me who are doing things in tandem & having a good time with them, but I am so glad to find that Sue is here with me again.  We were together for Snowmageddon in Washington DC a few years ago.  So the week after I arrive in Germany, SUE arrives & we have a new snowmageddon, shutting down the bases. Now, after 4 weeks of barely getting above freezing:  Easter...& more snow (top left outside my window). 

Two weeks ago we went to the city of Worms, Germany.  It is pronounced Verms, but some people cannot get it right; think they are being set up when they are told to pronounce it “Verms” so they just go ahead & say “Worms”, then chuckle a little as if to say, “these Germans are so cute.”  Americans! Worms is a very old city founded in 14 BC. It’s Cathedral (top right) was begun in the 10th century & is possibly most famous for being the place where Martin Luther refused to recant his beliefs in front of the Pope/Holy Roman Emperor & was then thoroughly excommunicated. Worms is the site of the oldest Jewish Cemetery in Europe (right) & the Jewish quarter is home to the yeshiva where the venerated Rabbi Rashi studied, to a Synagogue reconstructed after Kristallnacht &to an ancient, functional mikveh (ritual bath).  The crusades & the nazis pretty much decimated the Jewish population & today only a few Jews live there in a city whose name was first Celtic, Borbetomagus, & then Hebrew, Vermayza. Interestingly, the Jewish quarter & the main street, Judenstrasse (Jew Street) are mainly occupied by the Muslim Arab population.  Vandalism & desecration is a problem but the polizei do what they can to protect the ancient artifacts.

I don’t need or have a desire to drive or ride a bus for 6-8 hours for a day in all the big cities in Europe like some folks.  That reminds me of “European Vacation”. To me it is only worth the trip if it takes a couple of hours & I have plenty of time to stay…at least 2 days.  Partly that is because there is so much great stuff within a short distance that I never heard of before!  Places like Idar-Oberstein with it’s two castles on top of the mountain overlooking the valley village & the cathedral built into the side of the mountain (left). Went there for lunch last Sunday after Palmsonntag services at the local church, St. Martin’s, which was built in the 14th century by Franciscan monks (like Pope Francis, who I call Pope Fransisco, because it is so fun to say). This morning (Easter 2013) I woke up & it was snowing. The church bells were ringing, smoke & steam were billowing out of the chimneys on every rooftop in the valley. I again went to church with my 2 compadres Sue & Sandy at St. Martin’s & then home for a day of rest before embarking on another full work week.  I am going to my first live Bundesliga game with 50 thousand other foosball fans at Fritz-Walter-Stadion to see the 4th ranked FCK Rotes Teufeln (Kaiserslautern Red Devils Football Club) take on the #3 ranked Koln “Billy Goats”.  I hate to think that is their team name, but it is their mascot – go figure.  Even though I do fly the colors of Bayern Munchen (#1 in Bundesliga) I have been instructed that I cannot wear them here, although the colors are the same, somehow people will know.  If you hear of riots at a German foosball game, then you know it was probably because I wore the wrong team on game day. Then, assuming I survive the game & the after-party, on Saturday I am going to meet my friend Kathy in Strasbourg, France & likely will spend the night.  Looks like a full weekend, but I can handle it. I am getting tired of day after day of freezing temps though. Other photos here are Barbarossa's Castle remains in downtown Kaiserslautern; Easter eggs at the market and an Easter tree festooned with plastic eggs; My house; and My village.






 


No comments:

Post a Comment