Saturday, January 29, 2011

...thinking about Japan

Sometimes life throws some pretty interesting curves at you. In the last few years I learned the value of real friendship. I learned valuable lessons about people and character. I saw my son become a Marine, deploy to Afghanistan, and return. I have seen my family and two friends make great sacrifice for their country for a return that may not make up for the losses. I have been to Georgia, Oklahoma, Washington DC, North Carolina and Hawaii. I have been to Jordan, Israel, Germany, England, Turkey and now Japan. I have been stranded by blizzards and volcanoes. I can say “Hello” and “Where is the bathroom?” in 6 languages. I am not sure why I write this except that it dawns on me from time to time how small we are and how little we know. I can recall some of those breath-taking moments over the last few years and although people ask me where is your favorite place of all you have visited; I have to say I don’t know. How do you compare the Kamakura Daibutsu (pictured here) with Julius Caesar at Stratford-Upon-Avon? Or Petra with Masada? Or Canterbury Cathedral with St Peter’s Church in Antioch? I don’t think you can. So here I find myself reflecting on my day at Kamakura with a glass of Suntory in hand (yes it’s real- not just made for the movies). I had lunch at a tiny self-hibachi style restaurant. They brought the veggies and noodles and I cooked ‘em on the table where I was sitting. That and a bottle of Kamakura Beer…mm-mmm! I went wandering through the former capital of Japan finding the oldest (800 year old) Zen Temple in Japan and assorted Shinto Shrines. I even said to Doreen, my traveling partner for the day, “We are in JAPAN!” She didn’t seem to appreciate the hard slap on the back when I said it but I think she echoed the sentiment. Even the words Toilet or Smoking Area seem pretty cool when I see them written in Japanese. Anyway here are a few pix for your entertainment. From the top: a couple posing for formal pictures at Meijijingu Shrine; Kencho-ji the oldest Zen Temple; Hachi-mangu Shinto shrine in Kamakura; Kamakura Giant Buddha (second largest in Japan and hollow inside. I went in); these ladies were stopping in front of and praying for every business in Kamakura. The video should speak for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment