Monday, January 17, 2011

私は日本にいる

That means “I am in Japan.” A week now and I have almost mastered my key words and phrases including Nihongo Wa Dekimasen (I don’t speak Japanese) and Gomenasai (I’m sorry). All is well. Yesterday I took the train into Tokyo, wandered around the Shinjuku area and then met friends for dinner and adult liquid refreshment. Food has been really good, even though I generally point and hope for the best. Karaoke is big here with places designed for groups of friends to get together in a private Karaoke Party Room. One such establishment had a wonderful sign on the door: COME AND SING. SINGING IS PLEASANT. EVERYBODY IS HAPPY. I went to a bar last night called Bar Plastic Model that had Anime MTV projected on the wall. Yes Anime! There was room in the bar for about 8 small people and we were packed like sardines...all 5 of us. I dont want to talk about Bar Albatross. And I checked out a “traditional English pub” where I ordered a pint of ale and then watched with glee as local patrons ate fish and chips with chopsticks. Everything in Tokyo is in order. There are no public garbage cans on the streets yet the streets have no trash. Everybody waits patiently in line even at crosswalks when no cars are coming. That’s like a million people all waiting on every corner for the little man to turn green. Smoking is allowed in restaurants, but prohibited on the street. I can’t imagine Americans even trying to pull off Tokyo haute couture, ie: Little Bo Peep and Dragon Ball Z. It’s not my first time in the big city but I found myself staring. AND it’s a good thing I practice with chopsticks…otherwise I would be starving because there is eating protocol and etiquette that makes it practically impossible to cheat, and requesting a fork might be an impossibility. I did manage to navigate the trains and get home safely at 1 a.m. though and I am satisfied that my time here will be rewarding. Here are a few pix of Tokyo from yesterday. The park is the Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden, the city view is from the top of Tokyo Metro Govt Office and the street scene is Kabuki-Cho. Next week I may go into town and spend the night Saturday before meeting up with some folks I haven’t seen since 1970.

No comments:

Post a Comment