Saturday, June 6, 2009

Rainy Days in the Eifel


65 years since D-Day and here I am tooling around the German countryside. I guess a lot can change in a generation. This week has been cool and got cooler all week with wind and today a lot of rain. We got up to about a steamin' 52 degrees today, but with the wind and rain it felt frigid. Not one to back off completely, I did scale back my ambition for the weekend and drove along the Mosel River starting at Burg Eltz. The pic is from Burg Eltz in the middle of the long steep walk down into the valley and followed by a long steep walk back up. No pictures are allowed inside due to the centuries old tapestries and paintings and the fact that it is still privately owned by the Eltz family after some 600 years. Burg means Castle, but then again so does Schloss. Not sure what the difference is. Check out the vineyards along the Mosel River Valley, and the castle on top of the hill in Bielstein. Yeah, all those rows of crops are grapes...there have to be trillions. Castles and ruins are EVERYWHERE. It is pretty spectacular! 2 more full weekends in Germany...I will have to come back for more, because I dont think I can see everything this trip.

1 comment:

  1. What a life Gary. :-) Just checkin on ya. Linda

    ReplyDelete